As a program we use various evaluation and assessment tools with students, faculty members, community partners, and student leaders to work towards continual improvement in our work. One aspect we value is sharing data we collect back out to faculty and community partners. Click here to view a sample of our evaluation and assessment tools across the program. Below you will find information on the following topics:
- Pre-Service Assessment Process for Students
- Mid-Semester Check-In for Community Partners
- Final Evaluation Process for Students & Community Partners
Here is a resource for using evaluation tools to improve service-learning in your course.
Pre-Service Assessment Process for Students
Once students have been introduced to S-L, we encourage faculty to ask that all S-L students take 4-5 minutes to complete the S-L Pre-Service Assessment.
Why a Pre-Service Assessment?
- The S-L Pre-Service Assessment serves a dual purpose; (1) to help faculty know how well their students’ understand service-learning, and (2) to be used in conjunction with the final student evaluation. Both of these tools map back to our S-L student learning outcomes.
- Here is some additional information provided by the Center for Advancing Teaching & Learning through Research (CATLR) regarding benefits of early and mid-semester student feedback.
- While we will not follow up on completion, we encourage use of this tool for the reasons listed above (and many faculty members have told us how helpful it is!).
How do I receive my students’ responses?
- S-LTAs (or faculty members if a course does not have an S-LTA) will be provided with a list of student names who completed the assignment (upon request only) so that you can track participation in your course.
- Faculty and S-LTAs will receive a summary of student responses on or around Thursday 2/4/21. This information can help you troubleshoot any misunderstandings or questions students have about their S-L experiences sooner rather than later, such as expectations or grading. You will not receive individual student names attached to responses in order to maintain confidentiality.
- You can also reference this resource to help with addressing challenges in student evaluation & accountability.
Collecting responses to the Service-Learning Pre-Service Assessment is not only an important part of your individual course evaluation, it also provides our team with rich data for future improvement. Please let us know if you need more time to distribute this tool with your students. The Pre-Service Assessment will connect directly to a final evaluation of their service-learning experience, which we ask all students to complete at the end of the semester. Below is the final evaluation process for students.
Mid-Semester Check-In for Community Partners
Approximately half way through each semester, the S-L Program reaches out to all current community partners to see how things are going so far using this tool. From there we will share back any feedback collected to faculty members so that they can use it to inform their course and partnerships. Please note that only approximately 1/3 of community partners complete this, so please use this to supplement (not replace) existing communication and check-ins that you already do or have planned.
Final Evaluation Process for Students & Community Partners
As part of our standard curriculum across all S-L courses, all students and community partners are asked to complete a final evaluation of their S-L course and experience. We keep links to the student and community partner evaluation tools on our website (questions remain the same) so you can see what is being asked of each respondent.
Faculty and S-LTAs will be emailed a link to distribute the evaluation to their students. Community partners will receive a link from the S-L Program.
Spring 2020 Evaluation Timeline
3/23-3/31: Community Partner and student evaluations are built.
4/1-4/2: The CETR staff provides faculty members and S-LTAs with the web link to the student evaluation for you to share with your students via Blackboard/email.
4/2: Community Partner evaluations are sent out via email by CETR staff.
4/14: We ask that you require your students to complete the online student final evaluation by Tuesday 4/14. Becca or Lisa are happy to talk with you if you’d like to learn more about why we ask that this be a requirement for your S-L course.
4/21: The CETR staff provides faculty with the feedback collected through community partner evaluations before grades are due.
Mid-May: The CETR staff provides faculty members with the feedback collected through student evaluations so that you can use this information to help articulate student learning and make alterations to your future course.
Mid-May: The CETR provides community partners with the feedback collected through student evaluations.
Examples of Feedback from Community Partners
- What you will receive from the S-L Program:
- Aggregate feedback (see below) collected from all your community partners who respond to the evaluation
- Select information on stand out students, if applicable
- What we need from you:
- Nothing at this time (no response required)
Unfortunately as of Fall 2019 we are no longer able to solicit individual student-level feedback from community partners on behalf of faculty. The S-L Program will be in touch with the select few faculty who have previously taken advantage of this option to explore alternate solutions.
Aggregate Feedback (Questions 58, 59, & 60)